Updated: Sep 05, 2022 By: Dessign Team
Looking for the best WordPress Security plugins both free and premium to secure your WordPress website from hackers, viruses and injections. We put together a list of the best WordPress security plugins to help you stay secure and make sure your website is up and running without any major security issues.
You might also check the most wanted security plugins in 2022 to make sure you pick the perfect security plugin for your site. When you pick one of those plugins to make sure it: blocks malicious traffic, firewall, backdoors, stops SEO spam, malicious redirects and code injections, prevents brute force attacks and it has two-factor authentication login. If your website got infected with virus or malware use one of our most recommended WordPress malware removal plugins.
MalCare offers a suite of WordPress protection services that go above and beyond almost any other plugin out there. It offers a wide array of features ranging from malware scanning and removal to login protection and firewall. MalCare runs on a learning algorithm that keeps getting smarter with each threat it faces across the entire network of sites that it protects. With a first-in-kind one-click malware removal tool, MalCare bypasses the need to hire a security expert for every small error or anomaly on your site. At the same time, MalCare’s firewall and login protection locks out suspicious IPs and malicious bots without ever hogging your server resources.
MalCare comes with a powerful scanner that can detect just about any malware under the sun. The most notable qualities of the scanner are –
- It goes beyond signature matching to detect complex and unknown malware.
- Locates malware with pinpoint accuracy. 99% of the time, MalCare will automatically clean your site without needing a security expert or engineer.
- Chances of false positives are very low. So, you only get notified of serious threats that require immediate attention.
- Scan runs on MalCare’s own servers, which means that the performance of our website is never affected.
- Most importantly, MalCare runs a daily scan on its own without us having to take any action.
MalCare’s malware removal technology is unlike any other WordPress security plugin. Let’s take a look at what makes it so unique –
- It’s an automatic cleaner. This means you don’t have to rely on security services to manually clean your website. Just click a button and MalCare will quickly clean your website just under a minute.
- MalCare does a complete sweep of your website. It removes all traces of malware.
- It removes the malicious parts of your website without breaking the site.
WordPress Firewall & Login Protection
The firewall & login protection blocks malicious traffic without you having to raise a finger. Just set up the plugin and forget about it.
- The firewall detects malicious traffic trying to access your website and block it automatically.
- MalCare’s firewall preemptively detects bot traffic before WordPress is loaded by recognising known malicious IPs. This way, your server resources don’t get depleted.
- The login protection limits the number of failed login attempts which is an effective way to block brute force attacks.
- MalCare runs on an adaptive learning algorithm that keeps learning from threats faced by the entire network of sites it protects. So, your protection grows stronger over time.
MalCare comes integrated with a complete website management module that ensures better security for all your websites from a single dashboard. MalCare’s management offerings include –
- Manage users, plugins, themes, even the core of all your website from a single dashboard.
- Easily share your account with clients and team members.
- Enable white-labeling to serve your clients without risking your business.
- Generate detailed reports for your client’s peace of mind.
- Monitor your site’s uptime and speed right from the MalCare dashboard, etc
We highly recommend that you give MalCare a spin.
You can get MalCare at $99 for a single site for a year.
ITHEMES SECURITY IS THE #1 WORDPRESS SECURITY PLUGIN
iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security) gives you over 30+ ways to secure and protect your WordPress site. On average, 30,000 new websites are hacked each day. WordPress sites can be an easy target for attacks because of plugin vulnerabilities, weak passwords and obsolete software.
Most WordPress admins don’t know they’re vulnerable, but iThemes Security works to lock down WordPress, fix common holes, stop automated attacks and strengthen user credentials. With advanced features for experienced users, our WordPress security plugin can help harden WordPress.
MAINTAINED AND SUPPORTED BY ITHEMES
iThemes has been building and supporting WordPress tools since 2008 like BackupBuddy, our WordPress backup plugin. With our full range of WordPress plugins, themes and training, WordPress security is the next step in providing you with everything you need to build the WordPress web.
Sucuri SiteCheck will check your site for malware, spam, blacklisting and other security issues like .htaccess redirects, hidden eval code, etc. The best thing about it is it's completely free.
Sucuri Inc. is a globally recognized authority in all matters related to website security, with specialization in WordPress Security.
The Sucuri Security WordPress plugin is free to all WordPress users. It is a security suite meant to complement your existing security posture. It offers its users a set of security features for their website, each designed to have a positive effect on their security posture:
- Security Activity Auditing
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Remote Malware Scanning
- Blacklist Monitoring
- Effective Security Hardening
- Post-Hack Security Actions
- Security Notifications
- Website Firewall (premium)
Keep your site totally backed up in real-time with no storage limits and one-click restores.
Prevent unwanted intrusions with effective brute force attack protection, malware scanning, and spam filtering. Jetpack always on protection
Security, performance, and site management: the best way to WordPress is with Jetpack.
24/7 SITE SECURITY
Jetpack is your site’s security detail, guarding you against brute-force attacks and unauthorized logins. Basic protection is always free, while premium plans add expanded backup and automated fixes. Jetpack’s full suite of site security tools include:
- Brute-force attack protection, spam filtering, and downtime monitoring.
- Backups of your entire site, either once daily or in real time.
- Secure login, with optional two-factor authentication.
- Malware scanning, code scanning, and automated threat resolution.
- A record of every change on your site to simplify troubleshooting.
- Fast, priority support from WordPress experts.
Get alerts about site downtime instantly.
Defender adds the best in WordPress security to your website with just a few clicks. Stop brute force attacks, SQL injections, cross-site scripting XSS, and other WordPress vulnerabilities with Defender malware scans, firewall, and two-factor authentication login security.
No longer do you have to go through hideously complex settings and get a virtual PhD in security. Defender adds all the hardening and security tweaks you need. Defender's regular security scans, vulnerability reports, audit logs, 2-factor authentication, safety recommendations, blacklist monitoring, IP lockout device, simple security tweaks, core, plugin and theme code checker and login masking are too much for even the most wily villain.
Wordfence starts by checking if your site is already infected. We do a deep server-side scan of your source code comparing it to the Official WordPress repository for core, themes and plugins. Then Wordfence secures your site and makes it up to 50 times faster.
THE MOST POPULAR WORDPRESS FIREWALL & SECURITY SCANNER
Wordfence includes an endpoint firewall and malware scanner that were built from the ground up to protect WordPress. Our Threat Defense Feed arms Wordfence with the newest firewall rules, malware signatures and malicious IP addresses it needs to keep your website safe. Rounded out by 2FA and a suite of additional features, Wordfence is the most comprehensive WordPress security solution available.
- Web Application Firewall identifies and blocks malicious traffic. Built and maintained by a large team focused 100% on WordPress security.
- [Premium] Real-time firewall rule and malware signature updates via the Threat Defense Feed (free version is delayed by 30 days).
- [Premium] Real-time IP Blacklist blocks all requests from the most malicious IPs, protecting your site while reducing load.
- Protects your site at the endpoint, enabling deep integration with WordPress. Unlike cloud alternatives does not break encryption, cannot be bypassed and cannot leak data.
- Integrated malware scanner blocks requests that include malicious code or content.
- Protection from brute force attacks by limiting login attempts.
VaultPress is a real-time backup and security scanning service designed and built by Automattic, the same company that operates (and backs up!) millions of sites on WordPress.com.
VaultPress is now powered by Jetpack and effortlessly backs up every post, comment, media file, revision, and dashboard setting on your site to our servers. With VaultPress you’re protected against hackers, malware, accidental damage, and host outages.
AntiVirus for WordPress is a easy-to-use, safe tool to harden your WordPress site against exploits, malware and spam injections.
You can configure AntiVirus to perform an automated daily scan of your theme files and database tables. If the plugin happens to detect any suspicious code injections, it will send out a notification to a previously configured e-mail address.
In case your WordPress site has been hacked, AntiVirus will help you to become aware of the problem very quickly in order for you to take immediate action.
9. All In One
A COMPREHENSIVE, EASY TO USE, STABLE AND WELL SUPPORTED WORDPRESS SECURITY PLUGIN
WordPress itself is a very secure platform. However, it helps to add some extra security and firewall to your site by using a security plugin that enforces a lot of good security practices.
The All In One WordPress Security plugin will take your website security to a whole new level.
This plugin is designed and written by experts and is easy to use and understand.
It reduces security risk by checking for vulnerabilities, and by implementing and enforcing the latest recommended WordPress security practices and techniques.
All In One WP Security also uses an unprecedented security points grading system to measure how well you are protecting your site based on the security features you have activated.
Have a completely Secure login to your WordPress website using this FREE, Simple & very easy to setup plugin. It provides Google two factor authentication (2FA, MFA) whenever login to your WordPress website ensuring no unauthorised access to your website.
11. Bullet Proof
WordPress Security Protection: Malware scanner, Firewall, Login Security, DB Backup, Anti-Spam & much more. View Security feature highlights below. View BulletProof Security feature details under the FAQ help section below. Secure your WordPress website even further by adding additional BulletProof Security Bonus Custom Code. See BulletProof Security Bonus Custom Code under the FAQ help section below. Effective, Reliable & Easy to use WordPress Security Plugin.
12. Shield Security
SECURITY FOR WORDPRESS DOESN’T HAVE TO BE HARD
There’s no reason for security to be so darn complicated. It doesn’t have to be this way any longer.
Shield is the easiest security plugin to setup – you simply activate it.
And you can gradually dig deeper, as you’re ready.
TRUST: SHIELD DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS IT WILL DO
You’ve probably been let down in the past, but Shield is the WordPress Security solution that does what it says it’ll do – Protect Your Site.
Defends WordPress against hacker attacks, spam, trojans and malware.
Mitigates brute force attacks by limiting the number of login attempts through the login form, XML-RPC / REST API requests or using auth cookies.
Tracks user and bad actors activity with flexible email, mobile and desktop notifications.
Stops spam by using a specialized Cerber’s anti-spam engine and Google reCAPTCHA to protect registration, contact and comments forms.
Advanced malware scanner, integrity checker and file monitor.
Hardening WordPress with a set of flexible security rules and sophisticated security algorithms.
Restricts access with Black and White IP Access Lists.
Register this plugin at GOTMLS.NET and get access to new definitions of “Known Threats” and added features like Automatic Removal, plus patches for specific security vulnerabilities like old versions of timthumb. Updated definition files can be downloaded automatically within the admin once your Key is registered. Otherwise, this plugin just scans for “Potential Threats” and leaves it up to you to identify and remove the malicious ones.
MalCare offers a suite of WordPress protection services that go above and beyond almost any other plugin out there. It offers a wide array of features ranging from malware scanning and removal to login protection and firewall. MalCare runs on a learning algorithm that keeps getting smarter with each threat it faces across the entire network of sites that it protects.
Sucuri SiteCheck will check your site for malware, spam, blacklisting and other security issues like .htaccess redirects, hidden eval code, etc. The best thing about it is it’s completely free.