Top 13 WordPress Plugins for Writers
WordPress is indisputably the most efficient and useful platform for building a variety type of websites, thanks to its myriad ways to customization and ease of use for even beginners. Moreover, the CMS has the ability to be expanded through the use unlimited plugins. From customizing colors to protecting your site again brute force attack, it needs no explanation why it has becomes the most preferred CMS.
Among various WordPress plugins, writer or author oriented plugins have been gaining a lot of attention. And today, we are going to share some of these plugins to make you aware of the options available for streamlining your writing process in WordPress dashboard.
Yoast SEO WordPress plugin is designed to enhance your website’s search engine optimization. However, that’s not all what it does. It insists writers to write focused, relevant and SEO friendly content and allow them to add additional keywords and tags to help your website attain the highest rankings on the search engine results page. The page analysis option also checks your content readability score and help you improve it by mentioning the issues.
Additional features of Yoast SEO
- Offers the most advanced XML Sitemaps functionality
- Integrated with an import and export functionality
- Is fully multi-site compatible
- Has social media sharing buttons to make your site social media friendly
- Has an inbuilt file editor that allows you to edit robots.txt and .htaccess files
- Comes with a built-in breadcrumbs functionality
Well, this plugin needs no introduction. An amazing tracking tool that analyzes your website’s traffic, growth and metadata and enables you to view key Google Analytics reports in your WordPress dashboard. Whether you are curious to know the number of visitors you get on a daily basis or need to look at what kind of posts attract the most traffic, Google Analytics is the answer for all your questions.
Additional features of Google Analytics
- Is fully customizable via hooks and options, enabling advanced data collection
- Provide reports of bounce rate, page views, organic searches, sessions, keyword analytics reports, referrers, pages, locations and more.
- Provides an option to enable demographics and interest reports
- Offers an option to track internal links with a particular format as outbound links
Editorial Calendar is an important WordPress plugin for writers who are working on a tight schedule, deadline or multiple projects. It allows you to easily create post ideas, manage other writers (if you are outsourcing) or see which posts are yet to be scheduled or published.
Additional features of Editorial Calendar
- Equipped with a Drag and drop functionality to change your post dates.
- Integrated with a new drafts drawer to help you manage your drafts.
- Allows you to see the status of your posts.
- Allows you to rapidly edit post titles, contents, and even time.
- Lets you manage drafts or Publish posts
- Also enables you to manage posts from multiple authors.
Digg Digg is one of the most popular social media sharing WordPress plugins that automatically adds social media sharing buttons in various places on your blog. It has tons of customization options and lets you customize the location of the sharing buttons. You can add a floating bar, a horizontal or vertical bar, or may be left or right scrolling effects like Mashable.com.
Additional features of Digg Digg
- Offers lazy loading functionality to enhance your website performance
- Lets you add any social media button you can think of
- Supports excerpt mode
- Offers Support for print and email services
- Supports multiple languages, and email and print services
Nothing’s more frustrating than clicking on a link only to find out that it is broken or does not link to anything. While it’s certainly annoying to have broken links on your website, it’s even more annoying to locate and fix these broken links. However, using Broken Link Checker, you can conveniently fix such errors on your website and prevent your readers from alienating due to a broken link. The plugin continually monitors your website for broken links and notifies you if its finds any to help it immediately.
It basically checks your pages, comments, posts and other content for missing images and broken links.
Additional features of Broken Link Checker
- Monitors links that are broken, redirects and missing images
- Send notification on finding a broken link via the Dashboard or by email.
- Displays broken links differently in posts
- Helps you prevent search engines from crawling broken links
- Lets you search and filter links by URL, anchor text and so on.
JetPack is yet another amazing, multi-functional WordPress plugin that provides an array of services including content delivery network, WordPress site stats, subscription to updates, related posts feature and so much more. Best of all, you can choose from 37 different features and use only that you need. In fact, it is considered as a Swiss Army Knife of plugins.
It also lets you share your content across six popular platforms. The publicize module of JetPack automatically shares your posts on the platforms you have selected.
There are various other tools integrated into JetPack that help authors streamline their writing process such as proofreading, beautiful Math with LaTeX, Shortcode Embeds, Markdown and more.
Additional features of JetPack
- Provide traffic growth & insights with tools such as Sharing, enhanced distribution, publicize, and related posts
- Integrated with a centralized dashboard to manage menus, plugins and publish posts
- Automatically optimizes and speeds up images with the help of global WordPress.com content delivery network
- Helps you in protecting your site against brute force attacks and an unauthorized logins
Find it difficult to write quality content without getting distracted? Well, Just Writing is the perfect plugin for you that helps you focus completely on your writing. I have been blogging for many years now and often wish there was a way to write distraction free on WordPress but with a little more functionality. Just Writing is one plugin that has managed to help many authors around the world by offering a whole bunch of additional features such as cut, copy, paste functionality at fingertips, paragraph styling options, spell check and more.
Additional features of Just Writing
- Allows you to get rid of the fade effect and keep the toolbar visible
- Enables you to hide or lighten the border on the title/body areas
- Has an option to hide the word count and the editor mode bar
- Offers Per-user preferences for enabling Just Writing
Have you ever felt the need to enlarge the font size while writing? Well, if you are like me, you probably have. By default, WordPress dashboard’s font size can be pretty diminutive, especially if you like to work in Word documents. Visual Editor Font Size allows you to customize the size of the font size in your WordPress visual editor. Of course, it does not change anything on your website.
Additional features of Visual Editor Font Size
- Easy to configure and use
- Adds a box on the white screen to let you increase or decrease the font size
- Does not affect the actual font size of your website.
Front End Editor, as the name suggests, allows you to make changes to your content directly from the front-end. You no longer need to access your backend just to make a minor change in the content.
Additional features of Front End Editor
- Saves you from making plenty of trips to the backends
- Is highly compatible with any theme
- Extremely lightweight and fast
ImageInject, formerly known as WP Inject easily inserts images into your content. It browses the large Flickr database and finds the most relevant image for your blog post.
Additional features of WP Inject
- Lets you choose between various image sizes easily.
- Set the featured image for your post with a single click.
- Automatically adds the required attribution links next to the image.
- Allows you to insert multiple images at once and build whole galleries!
For a writer, it is important that his masterpiece reaches the most of the crowd. Nothing is more frustrating than not getting views and social media shares. NextScripts is a WordPress plugin that helps you to post your masterpiece on social media automatically. It is integrated with almost every social media platform which makes it an awesome plugin.
Additional Features of NextScripts
- It comes with Message Formatting Tags.
- You can assign different categories to each social network.
- It also allows you to import Facebook comments as WordPress comments.
- Also, have the ability to “Spin” message posts.
- You can also have custom URLs for auto posts.
- Also, import mentions and replies from Twitter as WordPress comments.
With Co-Author Plus you can add multiple authors in a single post. This is one of the best plugins which allows you to mention more than one contributor of the post. There are cases when you take help from more than one author, in that case, a WordPress user without this plugin has to mention just the main author of the post which can be frustrating for other authors. To avoid such embarrassment, you can consider using Co-Author Plus.
Additional Features of Co-Author Plus
- It allows you to write multiple bylines without creating any WordPress user account.
- The co-authored post will appear in the co-author’s archive page. They can edit it easily.
- If a co-author is mere a contributor than he/she can edit the post if it is not published.
- With interactive template tags of Co-Author Plus, it is easy to add co-authors where ever you want.
With WP Super Edit on your side, you can get control on WordPress WYSIWYG visual editor easily. Then you can add additional functionality by adding some buttons. So, with this plugin, you can easily arrange the buttons as it acts as a framework for TinyMCE visual editor plugins and buttons.
Additional Features of WP Super Edit
- Simple and sleek drag and drop interface.
- You can also set options for either give a user the function to edit the button or not.
- It is super easy to install and activate.
- Easy to add tables or layers with Additional TinyMCE plugins.
Do you have any other related plugin in mind? If so, don’t forget to share it with us in the comments section below.
Jason is an experienced WordPress developer and a blogger by hobby. He is associated with WordSuccor Ltd. – a leading custom WordPress plugin development services provider. Jason can be found at WordSuccor delivering Jason has been working with Wordsuccor for last 5 years and now leads a team of industry’s top WordPress developers. You can follow him on Twitter and Facebook!