WordPress is the best Content Management System of all time. As it is used by the majority of websites, this makes it an ideal target for most of the brute force attack.
This is the reason there are some security measures you need to take when using WordPress as the CMS for your website. Two-factor Authentication is that measure which can help you to neutralize these brute force attacks. There are many other ways however, you can use to prevent such hacking attempts. Still, two-factor authentication is the best way to tackle such lame attempts of hacking such as brute-force.
In this post, I am going to provide you an in-depth information about “What” two-factor authentication is and “How” can you apply it on your WordPress website’s dashboard to prevent brute-force attack.
So, let’s get started,
What is a Two-Factor Authentication?
It is easy to guess from the name itself. What it means is two layer of authentication before you log in to your WordPress account. Many top notches of companies such as Google, Twitter, Amazon, and Facebook use this factor to stay safe from trouble makers.
The simplest way to understand how a two-factor authentication work is the number one factor is simply by putting your username and password in the designated place. Then the step two is that you have to authenticate a passcode or an OTP which will be texted to you on your phone number. Only then you can log in to your WordPress dashboard.
So, this is the way two-factor authentication works.
Why you need a Two-Factor Authentication?
As I mentioned above, two-factor authentication provides an extra layer of security to your WordPress website. And yes, you need it, everybody should have it as there is no way that anyone can enter your website with a brute-force attack.
“Anything you’re doing to make the hacking harder is worth doing it”.
So, just do it.
THE CORE QUESTION→ How to add Two-Factor Authentication?
Well, there are many WordPress plugins that can provide you their services of two-factor authentication. You have the liberty to choose anyone you like.
Still, I want the best for you. So, I decided to give you the best of them all. Not one, not two, but three best WordPress Plugin for two-factor authentication. Let’s get started with them,
QR Code Authenticator
Developed by miniOrange, QR Code Authenticator has been proclaimed as a replacement of Clef. With this plugin, you’re not going to depend on your admin password alone. Allow me to elaborate some of its many features,
- With this plugin, you can actually add security layer like this, “Username + Password + Two-factors” or “Username + Two-Factors”.
- You can assign two-factor authentication user-role wise.
- There is no limitation for which phone it supports. It supports all type of phones.
- You can also customize security questions and add your own questions.
- It is totally a free plugin.
- If your phone is lost or broken, then you can also opt for OTP via email and security questions.
Google Authenticator is a highly secured, fully featured, and easy to setup two-factor authentication plugin. It is also designed by miniOrange and have some identical features as of QR Code. Still, there are some differences which I am noting down below. Let’s have a look,
- It can easily deploy for your entire user base in a matter of minutes.
- If your phone is offline, then still you can use an OTP generated by an app to log in.
- If you are moving and want to log in from a mobile device, then you can change the authentication easily to security question rather than OTP.
- Incredible support with all the premium themes and even the WooCommerce front end login theme.
- Shortcodes are also available for custom front end login page.
Authy Two-Factor Authentication
Developed by Authy Inc. Authy Two-Factor Authentication helps you to increase the security for your user accounts on your WordPress website. The plugin is very easy to install and activate. This plugin protects you from the re-use of the password, keylogger attacks, and phishing attacks. This makes the security of your WordPress website painless. Let’s talk about some of its many features,
- It will hardly take five minutes in total to install and activate.
- Authy Inc is one of the most popular two-factor authentication plugins of all time. It is a strong organization which will help you to manage the security of your WordPress website.
- It gives two-factor authentication to all type of user-roles.
- The plugin is open source and can be also found at https://github.com/authy/authy-wordpress/
Wrapping It Up
Two-factor authentication is becoming popular as recently some of the hacking attempts are increasing. It gives an efficient extra layer of security which is the need of an hour. Honestly, no hacker is going into oblivion, they are trying and they will continuously try to get past your WordPress website. So, believe it or not, this is the way to neutralize this threat.
Just as a precaution, I want to give you a flashback of what we discussed in a nutshell. Everyone, Focus,
- What is a Two-Factor Authentication?
Two layers of authentication before you log in to your WordPress account.
- Why you need a Two-Factor Authentication?
Two-factor authentication provides an extra layer of security to your WordPress website. “Anything you’re doing to make the hacking harder is worth doing it”.
- How to add Two-Factor Authentication?
Three Plugins to remember,
- QR Code Authenticator
- Google Authenticator
- Authy Two-Factor Authentication
So, how you like my point of view? I hope this will help you to handle your WordPress website easily and more securely. If you have anything regarding this topic please mention that in comments.
Author bio – Jason Daszkewicz is the author of this post. He is a WordPress developer for Wordsuccor Ltd., a leading WordPress web development services provider for startups and established businesess. Jason has been associted with Wordsuccor for last 5 years and providing optimum solutions for WordPress websites. You can follow him on Facebook and Twitter.