Updated: May 15, 2023 By: Dessign Team
Looking for the best free translation plugins for WordPress sites? we put together a list of the best and most popular free translation for WordPress. If you using a WordPress website and need a good and reliable free translation plugin use any of our examples below, there are some very popular ones with over a million active install and some who just started for beginners but might have the right features and widgets you looking for.
What to Look for in a Free Translation Plugin?
- Enable multilingual SEO features
- How many Languages can translate
- One-Click-Switching between the languages
- Lightweight and highly extendable
- Support for any language – including RTL/LTR layouts
- Updates, Support and Reviews
Translate your website into multiple languages without any code. Weglot Translate is fully SEO compatible, follow multilingual Google best practices.
Weglot Translate is the best and easiest translation plugin to translate your WordPress website and go multilingual.
Weglot Translate translates all your content into any language and provides a one-stop dashboard to edit translations or outsource to professional translators, to ensure that your translations are of the highest quality.
With Weglot Translate, you can translate your site into a multilingual website in minutes without coding anything.
Weglot Translate is SEO compatible. Plus, Weglot Translate follows Google’s best practices for multilingual websites, serving all translated webpages with clean source code. Every translated version of your website will be indexed by Google.
Weglot Translate is trusted by e-commerce (WooCommerce) companies, SaaS firms, marketplaces, corporate websites, mobile application landing pages, blogs, and more.
Experience a better way to translate your WordPress site and go multilingual, directly from the front-end using a friendly user interface. With TranslatePress you can show different images for each language of your website. To translate an image slider or an image carousel, you simply need to hover over the images displayed and click for each image you want to replace when viewing in a different language. Translate image with TranslatePress is very easy even for beginners.
TranslatePress – Multilingual has a range of premium Add-ons that allow you to extend the power of this WordPress translation plugin:
Pro Add-ons (available in the premium versions only)
TranslatePress is a WordPress translation plugin that anyone can use. How to translate any WordPress website to any language easy to follow tutorial for beginners.
The interface allows you to easily translate the entire page at once, including output from shortcodes, forms and page builders. It also works out of the box with WooCommerce.
Built the WordPress way, TranslatePress – Multilingual is a GPL and self hosted translation plugin, meaning you’ll own all your translations, forever. It’s the fastest way to create a bilingual or multilingual site.
Polylang allows you to create a bilingual or multilingual WordPress site. You write posts, pages and create categories and post tags as usual, and then define the language for each of them. The translation of a post, whether it is in the default language or not, is optional.
Multilingual / Globalization: URL-based multilanguage; easy translation interface, compatible with Yoast SEO, All in One SEO Pack and ACF!
The WPGlobus plugin provides you with the general multilingual tools.
- Manually translate posts, pages, categories, tags, menus, and widgets;
- Add one or several languages to your WP blog/site using custom combinations of country flags, locales and language names;
- Enable multilingual SEO features of “Yoast SEO” and “All in One SEO” plugins;
- Switch the languages at the front-end using: a drop-down menu extension and/or a customizable widget with various display options;
- Switch the Administrator interface language using a top bar selector;
If you want a professional translation workflow that works for your whole team of managers, developers, and translators, you’ll do well to localize your WordPress site with the Phrase WordPress translation plugin.
A software localization platform that acts as your single point of truth for all your multilingual WordPress content, Phrase is a poster child for efficient translation project management.
Once you connect your WordPress site with Phrase, you can access all Phrase features to easily create blog articles and landing pages in multiple languages:
- Organize all your translation tasks by assigning translation jobs to your co-workers, finding and hiring external translators as well as setting due dates for each locale,
- Sophisticated user management enables you to limit access rights to certain languages,
- Monitor the progress of your translation project and always stay in control with real-time process reporting about the individual activities of your team members,
- Create a style guide tailored to your brand tone to give translators proper context,
- Define key terms in the Glossary to achieve consistently high translation quality,
- Use Simple or Advanced Review Workflow to adjust the level of proofreading needed for each of your projects.
The more languages you want to handle in WordPress and the more regularly you need to translate and update your content, the more you need the kind of project management and linguistic features that Phrase offers.
Loco Translate provides in-browser editing of WordPress translation files.
It also provides localization tools for developers, such as extracting strings and generating templates.
- Built-in translation editor within WordPress admin
- Integration with automatic translation APIs
- Create and update language files directly in your theme or plugin
- Extraction of translatable strings from your source code
- Native MO file compilation without the need for Gettext on your system
- Support for PO features including comments, references and plural forms
- PO source view with clickable source code references
- Protected language directory for saving custom translations
- Configurable PO file backups with diff and restore capability
- Built-in WordPress locale codes
Official Loco WordPress plugin by Tim Whitlock.
This plugin brings the power of Google’s automatic translation service to translate your website into 100+ languages. A simple and complete multilingual solution for WordPress.
- Easy set up, including simple settings with inline help that everybody can understand.
- Include all the 3 inline and all the 4 tabbed styles.
- Select the available languages.
- Use it as a widget and as a shortcode.
- Practically null impact on page loads.
- Import/Export settings to easily transfer configurations.
I created Ceceppa Multilingua to let WordPress have an easy to use interface for managing a fully multilingual web site.
With “Ceceppa Multilingua” you can write your posts and pages in multiple language. Here are some features:
- Quick Edit mode. Allow you to edit the main content and its translations easily from one page/
- Separated posts and pages for each languages, so you can use different SEO and url for each languages.
- Translate your theme ( Plugin let you translate strings and will generate the .mo file for wordpress )
- URLs pretty and SEO-friendly. ?lang=en, /en/foo/ or en.yoursite.com
- Translate widgets title.
- Filter widgets by language
- Translate Site Title / Tagline
- One-Click-Switching between the languages
- One-Click-Switching between the translations
- Category link translation
- Different menu for each language.
- Add flags to menu
- Customize “Navigation label” for each language
- Group/Ungroup comments for each post languages.
- Show notice when the post/page that user is viewing is available, based on the information provided by the browser, in their its language
- Least Read Posts, Most Commented, Most Read Posts can show only the posts in user selected language
WPML makes it easy to run a multilingual website with a single WordPress installation. Choose languages for your site and start translating content.
WPML comes with over 40 languages. You can also add your own language variants (like Canadian French or Mexican Spanish) using WPML’s languages editor.
You can arrange different language contents in the same domain (in language directories), in sub-domains or in completely different domains.
Building a multilingual site is the first step. The challenge begins when your clients need to run it. They’re going to love you for choosing WPML!
WPML comes with state-of-the-art translation management. You can turn ordinary WordPress users into Translators. Translatorscan access only specific translation jobs which Translation Managers assign to them.
Transposh includes the following features:
- Support for any language – including RTL/LTR layouts
- Unique drag/drop interface for choosing viewable/translatable languages
- Multiple options for widget appearances – with pluggable widgets and multiple instances
- Translation of external plugins without a need for .po/.mo files
- Automatic translation mode for all content (including comments!)
- Professional translation bt One Hour Translation
- Use either Google, Bing, Yandex or Apertium translation backends – 117 languages supported!
- Automatic translation can be triggered on demand by the readers or on the server side
- RSS feeds are translated too
- Takes care of hidden elements, link tags, meta contents and titles
- Translated languages are searchable
- Buddypress integration
11. qTranslate X
The plugin offers a way to maintain dynamic multilingual content on a WordPress site. While static localization is already excellently implemented and offered by WordPress framework through po/mo file framework, it is still impossible to maintain dynamic multilingual content without an additional specialized plugin, a kind of which qTranslate-X belongs to. For example, what if you need to make title, content and excerpt of a page to be multilingual? In theory, it could be handled by po/mo files, but in an insanely inconvenient way.
12. xili language
xili-language provides for a bilingual (or multilingual) website an automatic selection of language (.mo) in theme according to the language of current post(s) or page. Theme’s behaviour can be fully personalized through settings, hooks and api. Ready for CMS developers and designers.
Multilanguage plugin is a great way to translate your WordPress website to other languages. Add translated content to pages, posts, widgets, menus, custom post types, taxonomies, etc. Let your visitors switch languages and browse content in their language.
Create a fast translation network on WordPress multisite.
Run each language in a separate site of your WordPress multisite and connect the content in a lightweight user interface. To allow your users switch between languages, create a language switcher in your custom menu or use a customizable widget.
This plugin lets you connect an unlimited amount of sites with each other.
Set a main language for each site, create relationships (connections), and start writing. You get a new field now to
create a linked post on all the connected sites automatically.
They are accessible via the post/page editor screen – you can switch back and forth to translate them.
Lingotek Translation offers convenient cloud-based localization and translation for WordPress by simplifying the process of creating and maintaining your multilingual website. Features include machine, professional, and community translation solutions that ease the manual burden of launching in new markets while improving language consistency, cutting costs, and enabling you to deliver your brand to consumers abroad in the quickest and most effective way possible.
Make your WordPress website content truly multilingual. The power to translate is now inside WordPress!